Saturday 11 February 2012

The Background

In April 2006 aged 39 I decided to give up smoking. I was not totally unfit at this point in my life but I was overweight. I walked the dog and was on my feet at work all day but that was it. I had to go to the doctors to get tablets to beat my addiction. In May, sadly the dog took her last walk and fear of becoming more overweight took over. I started going for walks in the early morning before my teenage sons got up. Before long I tried running, one lampost at a time, then two, then, by spring 2007, a whole song on my mp3 player. A friend told me about Race for life, a 5km run for wonen in aid of cancer. I went online and entered. Now I had focus. I completed that and the next year 2008 I did a different Race for Life and The great Yorkshire run a 10km race in Sheffield. It was a busy race, very exciting. I was hooked. I joined Ripon Runners where some members encouraged me to do a 10 mile race that November. I had a new addiction, racing. I am not fast, Im a back of the pack runner but I love it.
2009 saw me run 32 races including 4 half marathons.I was also named Ripon Runners most improved female.
2010 was the year I promised my Husband that I would not do as many races so I did 31 including 2 marathons. He also brought a leaflet home for triathlon and said he would help me train for it.
2011 the year I did 32 races including 3 marathons, an Ultra, a duathlon and an Olympic distance Triathlon. I also set my heart on Outlaw Triathlon an iron distance. I read Tim Gardiners account of his debut Ironman at the first Outlaw in 2010 and knew that I had to give it a go. It was in the school summer holidays so was ideal. Then when they opened for entries for 2012 I was gutted to find it had moved to July, how could I manage it and get back for work on Monday morning. I have never taken the day off work after a race before but think I may need to after an Ironman. I had to wait till the new term in September to ask the Head if it would be possible to take the day off after it. He said yes and a couple of days later my husband surprised me by entering me. The journey had begun.

3 comments:

  1. Lena,

    What a great story you have....

    I'm on a blogging reading marathon since starting the TRI-ING 4 GOOD twitter account and website...

    So far its a great journey affirming that there are soo many 'normal' inspirational people out there having a great impact on many levels.

    Hope you dont mind but as I go around reading others blogs I made a decision to leave a comments (like this)a bit like a visitors book.

    Good luck with the Ironman... Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena
    I love your story and being able to see how far you've come. Hope I can follow in your footsteps! Good luck

    ReplyDelete