Sunday 4 March 2012

Week 4, Recovery week?

This week was recovery week on my plan following last week's 132 miles, I was much in need of a rest, It never came and so there is possibly a need to re evaluate again. here is how the week went;
MONDAY
Plan 40 min bike with 6x20sec sprints plus 50 length swim.
I decided to brick this session and headed for the pool on the old cronk, I then proceeded to do my swim using a nose clip to help reduce my chlorine reaction. I then got back on the bike for a ride around the town. I forgot how hard it was to ride straight after a swim. As soon as I found my bike legs I started the sprints(they are so much harder outside than on the turbo. I think the weekends long sessions were still in my legs.
Totals
0.71 mile swim
8.93 mile cycle
TUESDAY
Plan 5 miles easy run
Tuesday is running club night, Juniors at 17:15 and adult at 18:30. The juniors were training on the field so that meant no running for me only supervising, that was a relief as I was tired.
For Adult club, my group was small and we set off for 6 miles, the pace was quite nice, it was a chatty pace with few stops to regroup, but because it was chatty I ran harder than I thought.
Total
6.88 miles
WEDNESDAY
Plan Rest day.
Wednesday is the school running club day. I have meetings Mon and Thur, Juniors Tue and Swimming on Fri so Wed is the only available night. The weather was gorgeous, it was sunny and dry. I had promised to take the students up to Studley (local Deer Park)on the first available opportunity, so Studley it was. The youngsters really enjoyed it, i had 2 messages from parents saying so. I stayed to the back of the group and ran steady but still felt tired.
Total 4.14 miles
THURSDAY
Plan 40 min run training
Running club was more than 24 hrs from School running club. that would have to count as a rest day.
Ian arrived at club to train us and said he had a different session for us. He led us up to a local quiet road doing warm ups and stretches on route (we must look bizarre). The session was a series of short sprints with tight turns then a longer 500/600 run, we repeated this3 times, then did some more short sprints and turns. My quads and heart and lungs were burning.
Total 5.01 miles
FRIDAY
Plan Swim training
Finished work at 4:45 so getting home and back up to the Grammar school was the usual rush, I hoped it was on this week. I phoned a friend, she said it was.
The session was a series of sprints to follow the warm up, then 10 lengths kicking (I'm good at these) and 10 lengths arms with a medley to finish. I am still pretty pants at Breast stroke, totally rubbish at butterfly and not great at back stroke, still they work some different muscles. I worked really hard on tired legs, result burning quads.
Total
1.02 miles
SATURDAY
Plan 10 miles run
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/harrogate/home
A few weeks ago I registered for Parkrun. They have one in Harrogate now. I have not had chance to do one yet. Two friends were going this week so I went too (after a nightmare getting the bar codes, thanks Vicky for doing them for me). We arrived on the Stray and headed for a group of runner who were loitering with intent (of running 5km)soon the run started and my quads were complaining again. The route was 3 laps and it took the first one for me to feel my fingers, halfway round the 2nd I was lapped by the winner (fellow Ripon Runner, Mike Appleton).
i completed the run in 28:39, 32nd lady, 5th in my category and 100th out of 159. not my fastest 5 km but I loved it.
Vicky and Annette were amazing in 65th and 86th positions respectively.
Now to try and work a way to fit Parkrun into my training plan.I was tired,but time for a bath and lunch, then back to Harrogate to visit mum.
Total 3.13 miles
SUNDAY

Plan 40 mile cycle
http://www.trihard.co.uk/Stokesley/stokesleyhome.htm
Today I planned to recce the Stokesley Duathlon route. My hubby and I are entered in this at the end of the month and so decided to go try it out. We got up this morning and it was drizzly but we thought it ok to carry on with our plans. We arrived at Stokesley and it was not much above freezing and pouring down. hubby had a pedal clip issue before we even left the car park. I led us into the town to where the race would start. we decided to do the bike bit first and cycle the run route later. The rain increased making it not a very comfortable ride. We stopped in Hutton Rudby to check the route before descending then ascending the 17% hills. When we started the 2nd loop I told hubby to lead, I was in the same gear and matching my pedalling with his but could not keep up. When I got back to the carpark 3 or 4 mins after him, it was to find him in very cold and unhappy, so we didn't do the run bit, we put some dry clothes on and came home.
Total 21.76 miles.
WEEKLY TOTALS
60 miles
8:14 hrs
6516 calories
9 workouts
SUMMARY This week has been tough, less than half the miles but lots more effort. I need to shift my rest day to Monday. I do need to have a whole day where I dont do any phys at all. I don't want to let the school runners down and feel they deserve better than me been shattered all the time. So tomorrow I pledge not to do any exercise at all.
There are only 118 days to Outlaw now and I am seriously concerned about the bike section. I need to increase my distance and speed up. I will be counting the teeth on my gears and comparing them with hubby's, if they are different I will consider upgrading my gears, to see if changing them will help me.If they are the same, well it is clear that I just need to work harder.
That is another week done, ultimately it was still a massive step towards my goal.


















2 comments:

  1. That is still a VERY impressive week's training. I'm sure you'll reach your goal - you certainly sound determined :) Good luck with the reast of your training!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's an incredible amount of training - wow! hope you nipped into Betty's for a wee treat! Well done, keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete