Monday 21 May 2012

Week 15, Getting back into it























MONDAY
Plan
Bike1hr15min with last 25min hard
10min run
Endurance swim 140 lengths
It was quite an easy weekend so I got up ready to go. first task was a bike ride, just 10 miles to start the day followed by a dogjog. Cycle went well dogjog not so. Jed was a pain in the but stopping every 2 seconds to sniff, I gave it up as a bad job. 
After work I decided to go for a bike ride rather than a swim, as my cycling needs work. I went out after tea and headed for Burton Leonard where I stopped my watch and went to Dads grave. had a chat and a tidy up, then back at it, up hill all the way to Wormald Green, across to Markington and then up again to Howe Hill, on the breaks most of the way down (what a wimp) then the climb up to the back of Studley and Aldfield, Finally the payback, downhill all the way back to Ripon Wheeeeee!


Total
Cycling 20.56
Run 1.24


TUESDAY
Plan
Easy run 6.5 miles
A lovely day for a change, so we took the juniors up to Studley, my group did 3 miles, then it was into the cars for a trip to Thirsk for the HDSRL race. it was a flat course but i didnt know how it would be so I hung around at the back and took it easy chatting to Lucinda and slowly passing people as we went. I lost touch with her in the field and started to chase people. i finished in a surprisingly fast time. 49:23 for 5.5 miles


Total
8.5 run


WEDNESDAY
Plan
REST
It was a rest day. I went for my sports massage, Libby ironed out a few niggles and found a couple I didnt know I had. felt better for it though. Then it was a visit to mum  and drama group. A busy rest day.


Total
0
THURSDAY
Plan
Club training run
Got up early and went for a cycle, a little further this morning, I was almost home when a lorry driver reading something whilst driving between Hutton Conyers and Nunwick forced me into the hedge. Good job one of us was looking.
Next was a Dog Jog, Jed was more cooperative and we managed 2 miles by the river.
After tea was club Training, Ian took us up to the school field where we ran 400's and zig zags practising turns and acceleration. my fastest 400m was 1:52


Total
Cycle 14.7 miles
Run 7 miles
FRIDAY
Plan
Swim training
Swim training was tough, medleys. I used every muscle and was shattered afterwards. good session though.
Made it home in time to watch the Olympic flame arrive in the country.


Total
1.11 miles
SATURDAY
Plan
90 mile bike
10 min run
It was cold and wet but swimming was on at the lake. Watched the Olympic torch relay start before we headed for the lake. Because the weather was so horrid we changed into our wetsuits before we left. I put a jacket over the top Hubby didnt. Good job we never broke down. We got to the lake and it was confirmed to be 11 degrees in the water. it was only 7 degrees air temp Brrr!
We got in and I reconsidered," i dont think I can do this, I may have to get out" Hubby said we'll just go to that buoy,  so we went to the buoy, it took your breath away it was so cold. We got to the buoy and to be honest wimping out is not my thing so off we went heading for the islands. Hubby immediately was a splosh in the distance. I ploughed on, it was pouring down but beautifully peaceful, in fact no sun was a blessing because it normally is blinding. i found my stroke and settled in, as I reached the first island I noticed that hubby had stopped for a chat with Emma and Steve, " Are we doing both?" I shouted, "Ok" he called back and set off towards me. He soon caught up and passed me. As I rounded the Island it all became much tougher, the wind was in my face and I kept getting my breathing/sighting wrong and was often coughing and choking. I did breaststroke whilst I regained my rhythm as hubby became a dot in the distance. I finally made it back to the jetty and stopped my watch, under 37 minutes, wow not bad for me. When I went to get out I fell over. One advantage to poor weather is not a big audience when you fall over and stagger like a drunkard.
After we had been home and defrosted and washed the pond off us, we went to Harrogate to look at wetsuits and girlie saddles. My wetsuit is not a great fit and I can never get a good breath as its too short in the body, as for my saddle, well its fine on a short journey but on long ones Ouch!
After a rather long time being fitted into a rather nice 2XU suit, medium mans, for body length, we ordered a large ladies for comparison, it should be in next week. we then went for the saddle, I had to sit on a pad to measure my bum bones, Ha Ha medium not large bought a girl seat.
After fitting the seat I had to try it out, so went for a bike ride to try it, felt ok.
Total
1500m swim
15.6 miles bike
SUNDAY
Plan
Endurance run
15 miles
Woke up naturally and took my time to get going. My hips were a bit sore so I readjusted my bike seat a bit.
I went out for 2 laps of the Ripon tri bike route. I set off in the opposite direction up Hutton Bank and through Sharow as a warm up. I had done 3 miles in 15 mins when I got to the racecourse and set off on the loop, it was a bit breezy, Boo hoo! The wind was in my face from Minskip and by the time I was on the A168 it was a battle. I was about to pull out to go around Dishforth roundabout when Hubby passed me. "You don't mind if I go on do you?" "Go ahead I need to do this twice" I said, secretly gutted He had set off ages after me I had hoped to have been further when he passed me. At last the wind was in my favour as I chased Hubby down the A168, he was still getting away. on the hills I was gaining a bit but on the was down he was flying. 
I completed loop 1 in 1 hour 40, happy with that and set off for the second lap, this time it was a little tougher, I lost time between Staveley and Minskip whilst I ate a Snickers. The a168 seemed even tougher this time. Heading up to the Windmill the road was busy, I thought I was doing OK at 50 miles to be going up at 12 mph into a head wind, but the cars were impatient and cutting me up  overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic, horns were beeping and all I could breath was fumes. It was awful and very scary. It didn't improve all the way along the Boroughbridge road, it was unusually busy. when I reached the racecourse in 1hr 45 I realised the races were on.
I had only gone 54 miles and I wanted to do more so I headed out for Littlethorpe and a few more miles.
When I finally got home.I put the bike back upstairs and went to the loo. I filled a drinks bottle, put on my trainers, and set off for a run, It didnt feel good, I thought Id head for Studley Church and see how It felt. It was tough, my feet were numb, and my quads wrecked. maybe I'd cut it short, whilst I was dithering whether to cut it short or not I realised I had auto piloted to the Caravan park, the church it was. The Main drag up was exactly that but I reached the gate without stopping, 3 miles, had a dextrose tablet and a mouthful of water, as I reached the car park entrance I decided to do the 7 bridges, I coped with them quite well but it was a struggle up to Sam's seat, I forced myself onwards and as I reached the crossroads I thought I'd go home through Hell Wath and town. I ran it all I was really pleased with myself. It wasn't fast bit it was OK.
I was glad to get home to get my legs up the wall, do some stretches and get a bath before stuffing my face with a gorgeous roast dinner cooked by Hubby after he returned from his 27 bike ride and 6 mile run.
Total
61.61 miles bike
7.8 miles run


  • 149miles
  • 15:06time
  • 11952calories
  • 13workouts
  •  
  • 05/14 – 05/20
So far in 2012 I have covered 1913 miles in tri training
This week has been tough trying to get back into it. It really is so tough balancing work, training, hospital visits to Mum, running club, drama and family. It is hard trying not to let anybody down.
6weeks to go

1 comment:

  1. You're doing a fantastic job Lena! You really should be proud of yourself. I totally understand how difficult you're finding it with time. You're doing really well!!

    ReplyDelete