Friday 4 May 2012

Week 12 Taper

MONDAY
PLAN
50 min bike
10 min run
100 length swim
Today my back and quads were tired. Rest is best, so rest it was.

TUESDAY
6mile club run
The usual rush to juniors, more so because it was their championship race at Hell Wath,a mile and a half away, there was a good turn out of kids and family, I marshalled.
The race was about 2 miles long and the youngsters were issued numbers and all ran well, next race will be a handicap.
Afterwards we walked to cub for the adult championship race, this week was the scratch race, the next one will be handicapped.
We were told not to run with watches or phone apps. It was weird running without my Garmin, I never look at it in a race, I just run how I feel, but its a comfort blanket.We had to guess how long it would take us to run the route, I guessed 58:34
We set off to Studley and I was trying not to race hard, my legs were tired, but I couldn't resist the chase and ended up running hard chasing Annette and Caroline. I think I did around 59 mins
After I finished I went to encourage the others in, Well done Trish and Moe, you hadn't planned on racing tonight and you did great, well done also to Andy and Chris who ran London Marathon on Sunday and still ran tonight.
Total
Lots of walking and jogging
6 miles of running.

WEDNESDAY
PLAN
Rest
Cancelled school running club. Awful weather and the kids deserve a rest after last nights race too. So its another rest day. 2 in one week. Cant remember when that last happened.

THURSDAY
PLAN
Club training
It has been raining now more or less for 3 days now. Everywhere there are enormous puddles and even the grass is under water in places. There were not many at club only 9 and a couple of others who went for a run. Training was short fast sessions and running up steps. Once youre wet youre wet. Good session. But great to get home and into a warm bath.
Total
4.9 miles run

FRIDAY
PLAN
50 min bike
swim training
Only did the swim training today. I tried to hold back bot its not always that easy. It was a good session and I was quite tired afterwards but not shattered.
Total
1800m swim

SATURDAY
PLAN
30 min easy bike
No training at all. Had a lie in and got up at 7, ate a huge breakfast (banana, yoghurt, 2 crumpets and a bowl of muesli) and went up town for a few supplies, including Thomas' flapjack for breakfast tomorrow. Whilst I was up town, hubby took Jed to the kennels.
We set off for Manchester under cloudy skies which seemed to get darker as we approached the Pennines. but as we crossed the highest point we looked over Lancashire as it was bathed in sunshine, It was still windy but at least it was dry.
We went to straight the registration/expo but the car park was full and we were directed to a car park around the corner. This saved us looking for the hotel because the overflow car park was Old Trafford cricket ground, and that was where our hotel was.
We walked around the corner to the Expo,(phone said it was 1.1 miles away, (wish all the marathon miles were measured by my phone)it was actually 5 mins walk. I searched for my number on the wall and went to collect it. we were given our T shirts too. It says Finisher on it, Hmm! does that mean I don't need to run?
We looked around the expo picking up leaflets for races we fancied but will probably never do, we entered som competitions and tried several energy products. Hubby liked the beetroot juice, thoght it tasted like Benylin. I bought Ron Hills book The history of the Manchester Marathon and he signed it for me and we had a chat. What a lovely man. Then we went to the Brooks stand where I met someone I've met a few times at races. Andy works for Brooks (my choice of trainer since 2008. The first Time I met Andy was at Darlington 10km, then at Snake Lane,he was also at VLM 2011. He was standing by the trainers I have been wanting since I first saw an ad for them. The limited edition Union Flag Adrenaline GTS. Since it was Andy I bought a pair but they will not leave the house until I carry the Olympic flame on June 19.
After the Expo we went to Harry Ramsdens for fish and chips followed by sticky toffee puddung with custard. We went back to book in to the hotel.
Later on another Ripon Runner popped round for a drink at the bar before going to look at the start. Then he went to his friends and we went to Frankie and Bennys for more traditional carbs. I really am not keen on pasta but needs must. We then walked back to the hotel. It was really cold, had a bottle of cider and and after double checking my kit and alarm it was time for bed.

Totals
No training but plenty of walking

SUNDAY
PLAN
MANCHESTER MARATHON
Well this was it the day had arrived, I'd slept well, thats a first for me, I don't normally sleep well the night before a race. I got out of bed and looked out of the window, it was sunny and dry, I hoped the forecast for rain had been wrong. the car park was already filling up and it was just after 6 am.
I had breakfast and got dressed, I packed all my stuff and at 7:30 we left the hotel, loaded the car and set off for the start . It was raining, not a little bit but absolutely pouring down and bitterly cold and windy, it was a real shock to the system after the warmth of the hotel. On the way John phoned to let me know he was there. I told him I was on my way.
We met up by the baggage tent, I left hubby and John chatting and went to the loo, the queues were short for a change. I went back to hubby and we went to shelter under a charity tent, everyone was sheltering as best they could until we were called to the start which was a fair walk away. There wasn't the warm up advertised and when we got to the start we went into a cafe to shelter until 8:55. my hands were freezing so I asked the cafe man for some of his food prep gloves. he was very kind and gave me some, they were a bit small but warmed my hands.
We went back into the weather and stood by the 4:40 sign, there was no one around it so we moved up to the 4:15 and soon there were other people around us but it was apparent that there was not the expected amount of runners, there were also supporters mixed amongst us. John worked his way amongst the others and was soon lost from sight. I needed a wee, too late now, it will pass.
The Klaxon went and we were off, a slight incline led to the start gantry, I pressed start on my watch as I approached the gantry and passed under it, "Go Lena" Hubby shouted from the side as he walked back to the hotel for a couple of hours shelter. I passed the 4:30 pacer and thought as long as she doesn't pass me I'll be doing ok. My previous marathon PB was last year at Edinburgh where I did 4:33. I slowly warmed into the run, by mile 2 I took the blue plastic gloves off. by 3 miles I was feeling comfortable, though I still needed a wee. I felt I was running comfortably and soon found I was sticking around a group of similar paced runners, one was a clown (Steve)there was lots of cheers on such a grey wet day for the brightly dressed clown, I stuck with him a while then slowly I passed him then there was Ron Hill at the side shouting words of encouragement. Then I could hear people calling "Nice hair Chris" after a mile or so I looked over my shoulder and saw Chris, he was wearing a bright blue wig, I laughed, I checked my watch at 10 km and 10 mile, my pace was good, under 10 min miles, at 13 miles my watch read 2:01. brilliant I thought. I still needed a wee so checked every loo we passed, they all had queues, Chris (blue hair) nipped to the side, probably for a wee. I was still running amongst quite a few runners and we got bottlenecked in the lanes especially n the flooded ones where people were single filed down the middle trying not to get too wet, but when you're wet you're wet, so I ran down the sides. All this time the wind blew and the rain still fell.
At 16 miles there was no loo queue so I decided to stop, there was some one in, I kept moving but I was getting cold and anxious as so many runners ran past me, I checked my watch, 3 minutes had passed, I banged on the door, "Are you OK?", "yes" came a voice.Soon a young man emerged, I ducked in and did what I had to and was back out running, it felt fast but I thought 4 mins, 1/2 a mile, I could settle back when I caught up. I soon saw the colourful clown and caught and passed him, and Chris (blue hair). I could not believe I was managing to do this. I soon spotted the lady I had run near for most of the race, sometimes she was ahead sometimes I was, sometimes we were side by side, I spotted her and pushed to catch up, a little ahead was the 4:15 pacer. A new target now that I had got back to where I was, but my pace stayed good and the wind was now in my face and the rain was falling, I was cold, I could not heat back up after the loo stop. at 23 there were people walking and ambulances all over the place, there were spectators calling to my, "well done Lena" "you're doing great" I got tears in my eyes as I got all emotional. "Get a grip I told myself, there'll be time for that at the end, focus" a short while further along a young girl running beside me sniffed, I looked over she had tears running down her face as she ran "I'm sorry she said, I just got emotional, its my first marathon" I told her it was OK and that she was doing great she was nearly there.
At mile 25 there was a bit of a surprise, we had to run down an underpass and up the shallow steps at the other side. It was draining on my legs, but this was the last mile, I can do one more mile, I shook my hands to try and warm them.
As I approached the finish the clock said 4:19:something and I sprinted for the line. I passed under the finish gantry before the clock turned to 4:20.
Someone wrapped me in a foil blanket and someone hung a medal on my finger. someone else tried to give me a bottle of drink, "I cant move" I said, shocked at how quick the cold had grasped me, she put the drink in my hand under the foil and I shuffled off.
I struggled with cold fingers to get my phone out and phone hubby, and like a small child I stayed still and he came to me with the rucksack of dry clothes. We moved to a generator and leaning on the wheel I struggled into my dry clothes putting them over my wet ones, I pulled off my socks and hubby warmed my dry ones on the exhaust pipe before I put them on, they were lovely and warm as I put my dry socks back into my wet trainers.
I was so cold as I shuffled to the cafe for a hot chocolate, the queue was random but soon hubby was placing the warm cup in my hands, it didn't take long to be effective and soon I was feeling a bit like my old self.
I wondered if John was back, we should wait but as soon as I went out the cold started to grip me with its icy fingers again. We had to go, we trusted that Johns friend would be there to help him when he finished.
We walked back to the hotel to get the car and drove to KFC to get warm and eat protein. just before we left John phoned, he had finished in around 5 hours and was looking for his bag in the baggage tent, apparently it was chaos, glad hubby had mine. I was glad John had finished safely and we set off home to pick Jed up from the kennels.
Gun time 4:20:00 chip time 4:16:26 a pb of over 16 minutes.
Here are the details

Total
26.38 miles

1 comment:

  1. That's a brilliant post marathon blog. Well done again. And if I'd known you were queuing for the loo at mile 16 I'd have said hi because I was stood opposite handing out waters! :-)

    ReplyDelete