Tuesday 24 April 2012

Week 10 Second week of the holidays

Second week of the holidays, hubby off work too, so not masses of training this week.

MONDAY
PLAN
55 min bike
10 min run
120 lengths
we just walked and rested the whole day, Lovely.

TUESDAY
PLAN
easy run, 6 miles
Club run 6.7 mi 01:11 10:35 pace
Not much running or of anything much seems to have helped my calf which had been niggling, and speed. Was running along chatting and realised the rest of the group were not with us so had to walk abit while they caught up. A really good run though. Not often I have to slow down for the others.
Total
6.7 miles

WEDNESDAY
PLAN
Rest
Just a short dogjog before a 2 mile walk finalising junior championship route with John. Then went with Billy on the bikes to Brymor Ice cream parlour up at Jerveuix, it was hilly with a headwind on way there as well as predominantly uphill 1:01:06 quicker on the return 45:41. New fave icecream Riggwelter and raisin yum yum.
Followed it with a dogjog brick around the river loop.
After tea I went for a swim, I took it steady after a pretty active day
Total
26.9 miles bike
4.2 miles running
1650 yd
Totals
32 miles

THURSDAY
PLAN
Club training
Sprint session around Hell Wath, was really hard work, I don't like long sprints they hurt. Still what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I was talking to Dennis about a new duathlon that would be on on Sunday, I quite facied it, he said go for it and I thought I'd give it a go. Popped round to Vicky's after club and she mentioned parkrun, I wasnt sure as I fancied the duathlon.
total
4.5 miles

FRIDAY
PLAN
55 min bike
swim training
Got up early and went for a short dogjog with Jed.
There was no swimming training again as its school holidays, so I went to Spa baths, the pool was quiet so I just got on with it, came home and entered the Duathlon at Newby Hall on Sunday
Totals
3.6 miles run
1.5 miles swim


SATURDAY
PLAN
80 mile bike
15 min run
Parkrun
Decided I would do Parkrun, so text Vicky to ask for a lift, BBrr! it was freezing, we arrived early after picking up Annette, Mel and Jackie because Vicky was marshalling as she cant run at the moment because she recently had both big toenails removed. when we got there we met Denis, he had cycled to Harrogate from Skelton on Ure. I went for a mile warm up lap with Mel and Dennis, both faster runners than me, so the pace was a bit quick, there was still a while to go so we did another mile. soon we were ready to go, I started close to Mel, Annette and Jackie, I tried to take it steady but soon was leading them, I could feel Annette on my shoulder, I just could not shift her, it felt like I was sprinting, I almost wanted her to overtake so I could take a breather, but soon we were on the last lap so I pushed onwards now hoping to keep her at bay, I finished in 26:30, Annette did 26:33, by gum that was close. Thanks annette for pushing me.
total
3.1 miles running

SUNDAY
PLAN
10 mile run
Newby Hall Duathlon
I set the alarm for 4:30 am to give me time to eat and double check everything. Pack my rucksack and at 5:45 I set off to slowly cycle the 3.5 miles to the race. Shockingly it was sub zero temperature with a heavy frost, i had to up my pace to keep warm, and I forgot about the one way system, so it was nearly 5 and a half miles, and so a little after 6 am I arrived, the place was almost deserted, just a Gazebo with a couple of people. Dennis said it would not be a big event and it looked as if he was right. I collected my number, number 40, and racked my bike. the lady giving the numbers was kind and offered that I could sit in her car, but I was really nervous and declined, I paced around trying to keep warm as more competitors arrived, not many though, there were a few NYPTri there but the field was small, 35, oh dear they would all be fast, I had worked out that I would take about 3 hours going by my Stokesley times, plus this duathlon was 10 km - 40 km - 5 km. Dennis arrived and we had a chat, that made me feel a bit better. Soon it was 5 mins to 8 and time to get ready to start the 2 lap 10 km course.
We set off and within the first km I was last, I pushed hard to not fall to far behind. As I arrived in transition I was told my time was 52:47, Whoa! that was a PB. being last must make you run faster than the fear of being last. There was still 1 competitor in transition so I changed my shoes and decided against my jacket as it was really windy and sometimes it flaps. The first few miles were into the wind, then there was a slight respite. I had studied the course online and figured I was certain of it. I'm familiar with the area, I lived in Skelton on Ure from age 4 to 7 and used to run the area in 2010 when I was training for my first marathon(gosh that seems so long ago I've done 5 now. The route was sign posted. I could see a cyclist's luminous yellow jacket in the distance, well I cant resist a chase, I set myself the task of catching up. The wind was brutal, going through Kirby Hill I was don to 5 mph, but as I turned onto the 168 south the wind was behind me, I sat up and got a bit of welcome speed. As I approached the roundabout, there was Dennis going the other way. I turned at the second roundabout and Bang! it was like hitting a wall as I was trying to head north into the wind. I dropped onto my handlebars and made myself as small as possible, and slowly I was catching the cyclist ahead, eventually as we approached the Dishforth roundabout I caught her, I didnt want to be accused of drafting so I stood on the pedals and over took. Now the task was to stay ahead of her. turning south on the168 was a blessing, the wind was behind so I sat up tall and used the wind.
Coming back into Newby Hall a car pulled out in front of me forcing me to brake, then positioned itself so I was unable to pass, when he turned off the cars in front pulled onto the grass to allow me passed, ans soon I was back in transition.
The 5 km run was tough I was now tired the girl I passed on the bike passed me at 1.5 km, we exchanged a few polite words and then she was off, she was running strongly, I just fought to keep her in sight. as I approached the last cattle grid, there was Dennis waiting to see me in. 3:02:00, not bad in the conditions and I was not last.
After chatting to a fer people and re packing my rucksack, I set off to cycle home when I realised that the presentations were taking place. I cycled over to find out that I had won a prize, 3rd female overall. Unfortunately some competitors had gone off route on the bike section, which is a shame.
I cycled home and got home just after midday.
It was a tough race because of the weather but a great experience too.
total
run 15 km
bike 40 km

Again the plan went out of the window this week, hubby was off work and supports me so much that a week of more quality time is well deserved for both of us.
TOTALS

95 miles
10:30 time
8341 calories
14 workout












TOTALS
95 miles
10:30 time
8341 calories
14 workouts

No comments:

Post a Comment