Wednesday 4 April 2012

Week 7 Recovery/taper

Last week I really pushed myself, knowing that this week would be alot less intense. the weekends bike ride has left me with tight quads and injury is not an option so no cycling till Sunday's race. Also as some of you may have noticed I don't always stick rigidly to my plan, this week was one of those weeks.
MONDAY
Plan 40 min cycle with 6x 20 min sprints
Quads were tight so I did not cycle today.
Plan 1000 yard swim
Having not cycled I felt a bit guilty so I extended my swim to 1.1 miles, which felt good and eased my legs a bit.
Total
Swim 1.1 miles

TUESDAY
Plan 5 miles easy running
It was junior running club at 5:15, we went quite a hilly route around town, some of the younger ones struggled a bit, so we cut our route shorter than the other group's
for the adult session, my group went with Vicky's group, their pace was quite fast but after a couple of miles I settled in and was quite comfortable. at 4.5 miles we were joined by a dog, one of the runners said he'd take it back. He was gone a while so we went to look for him and came across the dog with a different bloke, he said he had not seen a runner.
we split into twos and scoured the housing estate, eventually deciding to head back to club. when we got there, there was our missing runner. He had seen another runner in the distance and thinking we had set off with out him, by the time he caught her up and realised she was not one of our group he decided it would be best to head back. we were all glad that he was safe.
Totals
runs
Juniors 2.5 miles
Adults 6 miles

WEDNESDAY
Plan Rest
Today was wet, so thought that the school running club could run on local pavements, but as the day wore on the sun came out and we decided to go along the route that was the cross country route when I was at school, the youngsters were great, never allowing themselves to get too far ahead before returning. As usual the all were enthusiastic and really enjoyed themselves. I still was suffering with my quads so trotted along at the back.
At % pm I had a sports massage and Libby really laid into my quads and re stretches my hamstrings. She said that my ITband was a bit tight when I mentioned that my left knee was niggly, she worked on it for a while and told me to use my roller on it.
Totals
run 2.9 miles

THURSDAY
Plan club training
Landrover hill, we thought it would be as we hadnt done it in a while. the jog down there was the warm up then it was short sharp efforts of sprints up and down varying lengths of the hill. Quads were still sore from yesterday's massage so hill work was tough.
Totals
run 4.9 miles

FRIDAY
Today was sports relief day, my biggest relief was not having to think what to wear. The whole school got together after lunch to complete 3 laps of the school field. I guided a student with visual impairement round, and boy she could run.
Work then over ran and I texted Billy to meet me at the Grammar school with my swim kit for the coaching session, that way I could get my work finished. The swim session was a tough one, efforts of decreasing lengths. overall I have improved but billy has improved more as he was moved up a lane.
Totals
run 1 mile
Swim 1.14 miles

SATURDAY
Total rest day to prep for tomorrows Duathlon
Total
0 miles

SUNDAY
The forecast was for warm and sunny but there was just this dreadful thick fog. we loaded the bikes on the car and set of. as soon as we were in the countryside the visibility was about 20 yds, this was going to be a long journey. I checked the website on the phone and the organisers had advised lights, it did not look as if it was going to be a fun day, then as we passed Thirsk the fog thinned and eventually lifted.
We arrived in Stokesley and went to collect our numbers from the town hall ( we couldn't go to Godleys to collect the previous day as we were in Harrogate visiting Mum)then we went back to get the bikes and get them racked. Even though the fog had lifted it was still cold and we debated over what to wear.
Soon enough there was the race briefing. The novice race was to go first then the main race in 2 waves 10 mins apart, first wave was male under 40 and all females, second was everyone else. This made me nervous because I normally like to start near the back, being slower, I don't like to get in peoples way and I find it scary when lots of people start pushing past.I don't feel inadequate in any way, I have as much right to be there as anyone, I am just not as fast, I dont like the way some faster athletes are so hell bent on being at the front that they dont care if they push and shove other athletes out of the way, so I like the back. Now I was nervous of being in the way of all those fast 40+ blokes.
When the klaxon went I tried not to get drawn into the chase and to do my own thing. I was almost halfway through the 5 km run as 40+ guys started to pass and was just over half way when I saw hubby, I think I may have speeded up a bit, every time someone passed I dreaded it being him. I got back to t1 and got my bike heading out into the countryside, the sun was shining and it was a lovely day, there were cyclists for as far as you could see like a string of brightly coloured beads. My pace was good and I kept hubby at bay. 35km later as I entered T2 there he was approaching the dismount point, I racked my bike and set off. there was no water ready so I had to wait, I was gasping, Id only had energy drink on the bike knowing the water stop was just outside T2. The sun was beating down and it was a lovely day, my legs were tired but not wobbly and i overtook a couple of others, then it happened, hubby ran passed wishing me well as he ran off into the distance looking really fresh, I tried to run a bit quicker. I finished strong and not too far behind hubby, when the results came in there was less than 10 mins between us, so I was happy and my first 5 km was a pb. Hubby was over the moon it was his first Duathlon and his 2nd 5km was nearly 2 mins faster than his 1st. And so we went home happy bunnies and the sun shone down
Totals
run 10 km
bike 35 km

Mot a massive week but the rest was well earnt and the result was a good race at Stokesley Duathlon

Weekly total miles 47
7:11 hours trg
5947 calories burned
over 8 workouts
I have now covered 1160 miles in 2012 and 947 of those count towards 2012 miles in 2012 challenge
420 miles running
715 miles cycling and 26 miles swimming

1 comment:

  1. good one you for not sticking to your plan so rigidly as me. Always good to read fellow first time Outlaws/iron distance experiences. happy training :)

    ReplyDelete